The Pros and Cons of Online Grocery Shopping
The Internet has brought us many great tools and resources, such as email, forums and blogs. But online shopping is one of the most exciting advancements yet. Online grocery shopping is becoming increasingly popular and more widely available than ever.
How do you know whether online grocery shopping is a good idea for you? Read through these pros and cons to help you make your decision.
• Spend your time doing what you love: If you don’t enjoy grocery shopping, and you’d rather have more time to do the things you enjoy, then online shopping will remove the dreaded task from your list. And since shopping lists are saved from week to week, it makes grocery planning a snap too.
• It can help control your spending: It’s much more difficult to make an impulse purchase when you choose your grocery purchases online.
• Online shopping can reduce stress: Traveling to the store, parking or dealing with bus schedules and navigating the aisles isn’t easy for every senior. Online grocery shopping can remove a lot of the stresses involved.
• Do your “shopping” any time: You can place an order for groceries any time, night or day, from the comfort of your home.
• It might be more expensive: I know I just said that online grocery shopping can help control your spending, but it’s possible it could increase your spending too. First you have the delivery fees, you might miss out on local sales, and the items might be higher priced through the online vendor than if you shopped around your hometown stores.
• You might be choosier: When you aren’t in the store to look over your options, you can’t be sure you’re getting the furthest expiration date, the least beat-up package, or the freshest fruit and vegetables.
• It could increase feelings of isolation: For some seniors, grocery shopping offers an important opportunity to be social and interact with others. It’s important not to underestimate how this small weekly interaction-packed outing helps combat feelings of isolation.
Remember, you can always try online grocery shopping a few times to see how it impacts your life. If it’s not a positive experience, you can go back to the old way next week